ABOUT THE APPLICATION
Operators are always investing in updating and improving their mobile networks. Clearly their focus is offering the highest quality of service and experience to their users. With the strong growth in Smartphone and Tablet adoption, users are expecting to access and use social media, sharing vast amount of data like photos and viewing videos on the go.
Small Cell business case started as a solution offering capacity macro relief for the outdoor and better data penetration for indoor applications. With the introduction of the voice support requirement, the coverage application became applicable and operators are planning in using small cells also to extend network’s reach to those remote areas where macro cell proved unpractical.
If we focus on the outdoor application, the deployment of Small Cell has a different model compared to a macro, including several new aspects that need to be taken into account:
- Site acquisition in dense urban environment and urban canyon
- Sites are at street level (lamp posts, bus shelters, building sides or similar) as low as 2 meters
- Site may require preparation
- Equipment may need to be concealed or reflect the local environment
While on the network design side:
- Site location in urban canyon may result difficult to connect (e.g. historical cities with narrow streets, modern cities with tall buildings)
- Several backhauling technologies can be employed, each with different behaviour that will impact access deployment and even site type
- Designing the backhaul in accordance to the access but also to the environment
ABOUT THE BACKHAULING
The introduction of voice support brings a high impact on the backhaul solution that it has to behave just like a macro cell backhaul.
- High capacity throughput
- High availability
- Performance predictability
The deployment model brought new physical requirements:
- Small form factor
- Easy and fast mounting
Due to the new constrains, the small cell backhaul cannot be addressed with a single technology solution, but with a “tool box” of technologies, addressing different scenarios with purpose built solutions.
OUR VALUE PROPOSITION
In small cell scenarios the access, the backhaul, the network design and the deployment services are closely linked together. Changes on one of these aspects have direct repercussion on the others. SIAE MICROELETTRONICA believes that the offering of these as a single package is the best approach to a successful deployment and operation of small cells for a mobile network operator.
Our field gained experience and wireless design know how, coupled with a set of wireless transport technology purpose built for small cell applications, can maximize the expected network design results.
SIAE MICROELETTRONICA related microwave radio equipment: